Friday

Day 7-More water, but not from the sky!

Today the older scouts went on a 5 mile canoe trip. It was hot and humid but at least we had a river right next to us to cool off in. The people who went on this trip were Josh, Louie, Mr. Stark, Matthew S, Mr. Seibt, Will, and Matthew E. Will, Mr. Seibt, and Matthew E. had a little trouble at first because we hadn’t gotten the hang of all the techniques of canoeing yet, but the others were down the river in no time. We had brought our fishing poles so the person who was doing the least amount of paddling could make an attempt to catch a few fish. The only person who caught a fish was Mr. Stark who landed a 14 inch bass. We had a lot of ups and downs on this ride because unlike the last canoe trip, we didn’t have a current to pull us along, so it required more work. In some places the current was so strong that we would get stuck on a rapid with a tree in front of us with the current pulling us into the tree. After a about an hour on the river Mr. Stark and Matthew S. went on shore with Louie and Josh to fish and swim while everyone else continued on. The only problem was that we paddled about another 45 minutes down river so we stopped and waited for the other two canoes. While we were waiting for them to catch up we went swimming (which felt like jumping into a pool of ice) and we went fishing. When everyone finally met up we continued down river to this waterfall that went into the river. When we continued on we found a few dead fish and a huge dead turtle. When we got to our destination Mr. Heheman was there to pick us up. We took the canoes back to camp to eat lunch and then headed out to the lake.

Luke’s Excellent Adventure
By Luke R.

While the Eagle scouts were on their canoeing trip, My Dad and I went to visit my Grandma at her country house in nearby Adair County. While we were there my Uncle Billy stopped by and gave me a really cool Indian arrow head he found in his farm field. Then we went to visit my uncle Tutty who also lives near by.

After the visit we picked up the Eagles down river in Big Blue (my dad’s van) and headed to the beach for a swim. My Dad and I went tubing together and my Dad bounced and flopped and fell off before I did. Tonight we are receiving our nicknames from the Eagle scouts.

2 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

That looks like such fun!!! I think I'll run out before you all come home tomorrow and pick up some ibuprofen for Mr. S, "just in case" Cant wait to hear about the closing evening, and the wisdom passed down from the Eagle Scouts.

Pretty Boy said...

Hey luke, i just wanted to remind you that my dad and i also went on the canoe trip just so you know.